Monday 22 August 2016

Myristic acid synthesis

Myristic acid, or tetradecanoic acid, is a fatty acid with very few common uses. It is however, a useful organic building block. Under standard conditions, myristic acid is a low melting white crystalline solid. I'm not sure if I'll use my myristic acid for anything, although maybe I'll make some myristyl alcohol or a myristate ester.

Myristic acid can be made by the alkaline hydrolysis of trimyristin. This is a fairly easy and straightforward synthesis.

To a 500ml round-bottom flask, I added 1.43g of trimyristin and a solution of 11.43g sodium hydroxide in 48ml of water. I then added in 45ml of ethanol and attached a Liebig condenser to the flask. I refluxed the mixture for 1 hour and 30 minutes on a medium heat, adding in an additional 10ml of ethanol after the first 45 minutes. The trimyristin dissolved quickly and the liquid turned red, but after this, there wasn't much visible change. Once the reflux was complete, I let everything cool to room temperature. I then poured the mixture into a 200ml conical flask. At this point, the mixture consists of mostly sodium myristate dissolved in water. To get the myristic acid, the sodium myristate must be acidified with a strong acid. So I added 27ml of 33% hydrochloric acid. The red colour lightened to a yellow and the mixture became cloudy. I did add in a little bit more hydrochloric acid by accident, which was completely unnecessary.

Anyway, after a few minutes, a white precipitate of myristic acid began to collect on the bottom of the flask. I chilled the mixture down to get as much myristic acid to crystallize out as possible. A bit of unreacted trimyristin floated on top of the liquid and this was carefully decanted off. I then filtered off the myristic acid, washed it with 50ml of water, then dried it. I got 0.36g of myristic acid, which is a 27% yield.


I'm honestly not sure why the yield was so low.

(C13H27COO)3C3H8 + 3 NaOH ==> 3 NaC13H27COO + C3H8(OH)3

NaC13H27COO + HCl ==> C13H27COOH + NaCl

No comments:

Post a Comment