Monday 13 June 2016

2-Aminophenol via hydrolysis

2-Aminophenol, or 2-hydroxyaniline, is an organic compound used in photography. It's a valuable reagent used to synthesize many heterocyclic compounds such as benzoxazoles (many of which are important in the pharmaceutical industry). I plan to use 2-aminophenol to synthesize catechol. Although I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to it.

2-Aminophenol is formed via the acid hydrolysis of 2-benzoxazolinone. I tried this out.

To a 500ml round bottom flask, I added 27ml of 33% hydrochloric acid and 70ml of water. I then added 1.8g of 2-benzoxazolinone and set up for reflux. Using a boiling water bath as the heating source, I gently refluxed the mixture for 2 hours. The 2-benzoxazolinone gradually dissolved leaving a clear brown-yellow solution. After the reflux, I allowed the mixture to cool down to room temperature. As the mixture cooled, fluffy white crystals of 2-aminophenol began to precipitate.

Once the mixture had fully cooled, I filtered off the 2-aminophenol product. After drying I was left with 0.62g of slightly brown 2-aminophenol which is a 42.6% yield.


A note on safety: although the deadly gas phosgene is produced in this reaction, it immediately reacts with the water present as soon as it is formed. Due to this, the risk of phosgene poisoning is extremely low.


C6H4(O)NHCO + 2 HCl ==> C6H4(OH)NH2 + COCl2  /  COCl2 + H2O ==> CO2 + 2 HCl

No comments:

Post a Comment