Sunday 5 June 2016

Sodium pyroantimonate

Sodium pyroantimonate is an interesting salt used as a glass clarifier. It's also used in monochrome picture tubes and glass fibers. At room temperature, sodium pyroantimonate exists as white crystals.
I chose to make it because the synthesis seemed interesting. I probably won't use the product for anything though.

To a 125ml beaker I added 20ml of 35% (by weight) sodium hydroxide solution. Next I added 4g of crude antimony trisulphide. The antimony trisulphide dissolved giving a brown-yellow solution. Slight heating was needed to get all of it dissolved. Since my antimony trisulphide was impure, some elemental antimony remained. This was filtered off before continuing. The solution was transferred to a 1000ml conical flask and diluted with 130ml of water. I heated the mixture up to 70 C and slowly added 50ml of 6% hydrogen peroxide in portions with stirring while maintaining the temperature at 70-85 C. The colour of the mixture changed to a light yellow and some crystals of sodium pyroantimonate precipitated. I let the mixture cool down to room temperature then filtered off the sodium pyroantimonate.

 I washed the product with 10ml of equivolume water/ethanol mixture and then 10ml of anhydrous ethanol, then dried it. I got 1.5g of dry sodium pyroantimonate.


Sb2S3 + 6 NaOH ==> Na3SbS3 + Na3SbO3 + H2O

3 H2O + Na3SbO3 + H2O2 ==> NaSb(OH)6 + 2 NaOH

 NaOH + H2O2 + Na3SbS3 + 3 H2O ==> NaSb(OH)6 + 3 NaSH

No comments:

Post a Comment