Monday 25 April 2016

1,3,5-Trichlorohexahydrotriazine

1,3,5-Trichlorohexahydrotriazine (C3H6N3Cl3) is a mildly energetic compound prepared from hexamine. It's a yellow-white solid which generates chlorine on contact with hydrochloric acid. It's also a very unstable compound. Aside from this, not much is known about it.

To synthesize it I started with 2.7g of hexamine which I dissolved in 25ml of water in a beaker. To a separate beaker I added 60ml of  5% sodium hypochlorite solution and 80ml of 5% acetic acid. I then poured the hexamine solution into the hypochlorite/acetic acid mix. Immediately a white precipitate of the product formed.

The precipitate was filtered off. The product tends to decompose to a yellow oil while drying. So every time I try drying the product, it completely decomposes and I am left with nothing. Here's a picture of some wet 1,3,5-trichlorohexahydrotriazine:


I'm not sure what the equation is sadly.

No comments:

Post a Comment