Sunday 25 September 2016

Preparation of nitrourea

N-nitrourea, or N-nitrocarbamide, is an interesting compound with a variety of uses in organic synthesis. It is also a powerful secondary explosive and thus must be handled with caution. However, I'm not so interested in nitrourea as an explosive, but rather as a precursor to semicarbazide.

Nitrourea can be made by the dehydration of urea nitrate. The reaction is a bit finicky, and straying too far from the ideal temperature range can result in a significant loss of product.

To 150ml beaker, I added 17ml of 98% sulphuric acid. I placed the beaker in an ice bath (an arbitrary amount of sodium chloride was added to the ice bath to get it even colder). Once the temperature of the sulphuric acid had dropped to -2 C, I began adding 11g of urea nitrate in very small portions with constant stirring, at such a rate that the temperature never rose above 0 C. Complete addition of the urea nitrate took about 30 minutes. The viscosity of the mixture gradually increased and fine white particulate began to form. I continued stirring for a few minutes after all the urea nitrate was added.

Then I began adding pieces of ice (one at a time) to the mixture. This generates a fair amount of heat, so its best to start with small pieces as the nitrourea product is sensitive to warm-hot water. As more and more ice was added, lots of white nitrourea precipitated. Once the volume of the mixture had reached 125ml, I filtered off the nitrourea and washed it on the filter with 70ml of ice cold water to help remove sulphuric acid.

The product turned out to be very difficult to dry. I let it sit in a desiccator bag over anhydrous calcium chloride for over a week, after which it was still sticky from moisture. I decided this was as dry as I was going to get it, so I weighed the product and calculated the yield anyway. I got 4.33g of slightly wet nitrourea as a sticky white powder. Yield: 46%.


The nitrourea should be sufficiently pure and usable for most reactions. For maximum purity, the nitrourea can be recrystallized from ethanol. However I decided not to do this.

(NH2)2CO.HNO3 == -H2O ==> NH2CONHNO2

No comments:

Post a Comment